Science Says Marijuana Successfully Treats ADHD

weed farm prison

If mind-blowing orgasms aren’t enough to convince you that mary jane is a wonderplant, then new data suggesting cannabis eases symptoms of ADHD (attention deficit hyperactivity disorder) might do the trick.

A German study observed the effects of medical marijuana among 30 patients diagnosed with adult ADHD. All of the participants were granted approval to use cannabis flowers after unsuccessfully trying traditional medication.

Of the 30 patients, eight continued to take stimulants in combination with cannabis, while 22 patients opted to only use cannabis to treat their ADHD symptoms during the study. Researchers found that all subjects, who were previously resistant to conventional methods, experienced “improved concentration and sleep, and reduced impulsivity” following cannabis therapy.

High Times notes that despite similar reports suggesting marijuana mitigates ADHD symptoms, research on the subject has been limited and no US state currently recognizes the disorder as a means of eligibility for cannabis therapy. Although California and Washington, D.C. allows doctors to make medical marijuana recommendations at their discretion.

ADHD, a recent phenomenon that gathered attention in the 1950s when the stimulant Ritalin (methylphenidate) became available, is characterized  by hyperactivity, attention deficit and impulsiveness. In 2011 to 2012, 11 percent of US school-aged children were diagnosed with ADHD. The other 89 percent were probably too distracted to participate in the study.