Disclaimer: This recipe is intended for informational purposes only. We’d also like to kindly remind you that any marijuana purchased and consumed should be done legally and is consumed at your own risk.
Sometimes, you want something more out of life than a month-old pot brownie gathering freezer burn in your fridge. Sometimes, you want to sink your teeth into a melty, meaty sandwich and if you can get elevated on the way, the better.
Chefs Laurie Wolf and Melissa Parks get you. Their recipe book, Herbs, is a gold mine of edible recipes that transcend the standard medicated cookie. In collaboration with The Stoner’s Cookbook, the cannabis-infused meals offer everything from Devils on Horseback (aka crispy bacon-wrapped dates) to a giant Tomahawk Rib Eye to Cherry Cookie Hand Pies. Our favorite, however, goes out to their Philly Cheesesteak, delivering a savory high via cheddar sauce.
The recipe for the classic ‘wich below.
- 2 T butter
- 8 t cannabutter
- 3 T all-purpose flour
- 1/2 t kosher salt
- 1/2 t white pepper
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 oz cream cheese, slightly softened
- 1 1/2 cups grated sharp cheddar
- Pinch of ground nutmeg
1. In a medium saucepan, melt the butter and cannabutter over low heat. Whisk in the flour, salt, and white pepper and cook for several minutes, stirring, to remove the raw flour taste.
2. Slowly pour in the milk and cream, stirring constantly; this ensures a smooth and creamy consistency. Once the milk and cream have been added, add the cream cheese in three or four pieces, whisking between each addition.
3. Continue to cook the sauce over medium-low heat until it’s thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, 7 to 10 minutes.
4. Reduce the heat to low and add the cheddar a 1/2 cup at a time, whisking between each addition, 5 to 6 minutes.
5. Remove the pan from the heat, stir in the nutmeg, and serve immediately.
Tip: You’ll have lots of cheese sauce left over. So store the rest in your fridge and bust it out when you have friends over, pairing with nachos and Netflix.
THE PHILLY CHEESESTEAK
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 bell pepper, any color, thinly sliced
- 1/2 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 6 slices roast beef
- 2 hero or hoagie rolls, cut in half lengthwise
- 1/2 cup Cheddar Cheese Sauce (above)
1. In a large sauté pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
2. Add the bell pepper and cook until softened, 8 to 10 minutes.
3. Add the onion and cook until soft and translucent, 6 to 7 minutes.
4. In the same pan, sauté the roast beef, adding a little more olive oil if the pan is dry.
5. Return the vegetables to the pan to heat through.
6. Divide the roast beef mixture between the bottoms of the rolls.
7. Pour the cheese sauce over the mixture, top the rolls, and serve immediately.
For more high-end edibles, swoop your copy of Herbs here.